The Ballon d’Or 2023 ceremony was held on Monday, October 30, 2023, at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, France. Lionel Messi won the award for a record-extending eighth time, ahead of Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema.
The award was presented by France Football magazine, which has been giving out the award since 1956. The Ballon d’Or is considered to be the most prestigious award in football, and it is given to the player who is adjudged to have been the best in the world over the previous year.
Messi’s victory in 2023 was his eighth Ballon d’Or, a record that he holds jointly with Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi had previously won the award in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, and 2021.
Messi’s victory was based on his exceptional performances for Paris Saint-Germain and Argentina in the 2022-2023 season. He led Paris Saint-Germain to the Ligue 1 title and the Coupe de France, and he also won the Copa América with Argentina.
In his acceptance speech, Messi said: “I am very happy to receive this award. It is an honor to win it for the eighth time. I would like to thank my teammates, my coaches, and my family for their support. I would also like to thank the fans for their votes.”
The Ballon d’Or 2023 ceremony was also attended by a number of celebrities, including former winners Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane, and Ronaldinho.
Additional Information about the Ballon d’Or
- The Ballon d’Or is awarded to the best male footballer in the world as judged by a group of international journalists.
- The award was first given in 1956, and has been won by some of the greatest players in history.
- The award is sponsored by France Football magazine.
- The award is given out annually at a ceremony in Paris, France.
- The winner of the award is given a trophy made of gold and silver.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.